Sunday, December 31, 2006

2007


(Me in 1979.)
Today marks the last day of another amazing year of life. And tomorrow is the beginning of a new chapter that is ready to be written. I am in awe of all that Josh and I have done this past year with Huntleigh now being a part of our lives. I realize more and more that my life is no longer about me. I guess it never really was, but I certainly lived as though it were. And the truth is, I still want to live as though life is all about me because when Huntleigh somehow interrupts my pursuits, I am quick to be frustrated. Huntleigh is my beautiful, precious and prized gift that daliy reminds me of how selfish I really am and how helpless I am without Jesus to daily forgive me and restore me in his perfect graciousness. She certainly makes life more rich than it ever was before...this is sometimes manifest in small ways and sometimes in very large ways with her big personality. These are the things I love: finding her magnetic letters in the dishwasher when I go to put the dishes away...watching her excitement and pride when she gets a puzzle piece in the proper place all by herself...hearing her laugh with Josh...watching her dance...having her come and squeeze my leg when she wants to hug me...observing the incredible speed at which she learns and retains new things...the list is possibly endless. These are the things that are difficult: interrupted sleep...a limited vocabulary with which we communicate...insatiable tears with no obvious source for reason...physical pain that I cannot subdue...manifestations of original sin...narrow-mindedness in regards to food. But at the end of the day, when the floor is swept of crusty food and I have finished my daily chores, I reward myself by peeking at the treasure sleeping so tranquilly in her crib and am refreshed for the next day. So 2007, we are ready to write the story. Where will you take us this year?

1 comment:

we are the spencers said...

so beautifully written. these are my thoughts exactly with eva and myself. i just wish i could put things so eloquently! our children are so amazing in so many ways. happy new year!