Saturday, November 10, 2007

flower girl

Huntleigh was the flower girl for our friends' (Alex and Sara) wedding. At the rehearsal, she was initially quite intimidated, but then she didn't have any problem warming up to her job. In fact, when she practiced, she galloped down the aisle. She kept talking about walking down the aisle at the "castle." Memorial Pres is a beautiful church and certainly does look like a castle to a little girl of Huntleigh's age. I have NO idea where she learned the word "castle," but she talks about it all the time whenever we drive past Washington University, too. Apparently, she understands excellent architecture.

Anyways, the wedding, on the otherhand, was another story. Huntleigh took a great nap and arrived at the church in a perfect mood (although, had to warm up to the idea of being at the "castle" again). She looked just perfect in her little dress and sash and ballet slippers and bow and she had a little green cone to carry that had real rose petals inside of it. She spent the majority of the processional jumping around the foyer and running away from my mom (who was able to be there to help us during the ceremony) but when it came time for her to walk down the aisle FOR REAL, I watched her walk down about 1/4 of the way. She looked around her at all the guests and the triumphantly loud music was swirling around the sanctuary and she probably thought "What the heck am I doing? I'm turning around and going right back to the saftey of Yia Yia!" and she did just that. She turned back toward the bride and didn't finish the walk down the aisle. I was so proud of her, though. She didn't have a meltdown or scream or freak out, she just changed her mind and walked right back to the place she started. I have to admit, I did have tears in my eyes for those few moments of glory as she walked down 1/4 of the aisle. I am such a pregnant sap. Here we are after the wedding laughing at daddy. My friend Brooke took a beautiful picture of Huntleigh coming back up the aisle. (You can see the pastor at the front of the church in the very background of the picture.) Brooke is an amazingly talented photographer. I wish she lived in Saint Louis.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

The picture that Brooke took of Huntleigh is absolutely precious. What a doll! Thanks for all the new posts on your blog, it is great to hear what you are up to! I can't believe I haven't talked to you since we moved! You are looking great! How is the pregnancy going? I'd love to catch up soon!
Love,
Kristen

Julianne said...

Sarah, you look so great! How are you feeling? I absolutely love Huntleigh's ballet shoes...precious. Glad you're back and up to date. :)