Monday, June 15, 2009

Aloha.

Well, we made it. We took our longest flight yet with children and I am so glad we did it. We are currently enjoying our long-awaited family vacation in one of our most beautiful states. I love Hawaii. There is so much to me that is reminiscent of Hong Kong, it's quite captivating to me. We took a short flight to O'Hare and then boarded our 9 1/2 hour flight to Honolulu, hopeful that our youngest babe would just sleep for the greater part of the flight. Um, no such luck. Our fave babysitter, Katie, joined us again for this year's trip, and she sat with Huntleigh for the whole flight. The plan was to switch Lucy to Huntleigh's seat so that she could be in the car seat, but FAA regulations prevented us from doing that, so Lucy was indeed our lap child the whole time.

Alo-ha.

Monkey face here did awesome. We would go to check on her and Katie every once in a while, and they were always great. Hunts didn't take a nap the whole time, but she was a super star, thanks to Diego and fun new activity books and an awesome Katie who just loves Huntleigh to pieces. I was so proud of Huntleigh, I was practically crying when we got off the plane. Or maybe I was crying because I was delirious due to the fact that....
monkey face
....this one did not sleep for more than ten minutes for our entire travel day. Not kidding. She was awake at 5 a.m. CST when we left our home sweet home and we arrived in Honolulu at 2:10 p.m. (Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone) and we went to bed at 8 p.m. that evening, which means that Lucy was awake for almost 20 hours. No nap. No joke. She was a train wreck. So were Josh and I. This child has the most tenacious will. She is going to challenge us like nobody else. I love her so much, but if I had had a parachute and access to the airplane door, let's just say I might be vacationing by myself on some random Pacific island. Here she is all chocolate-faced and worn out.
worn out

3 comments:

Audrey Woita said...

yay! happy to see pix from hawaii...we prayed for your vacation today, that it would be relaxing and rewarding for your family! sorry about lulubelle not wanting to nap...and being a lap child the ENTIRE flight...how 'bout some benedryl for her on the way home? :-)

marnie said...

Love the pictures of the girls.Me oh my Lucy,Lucy, Lucy. Hope the trip home is much easier. I am with Audrey, knock her out:) Miss you all. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so envious that you are there and I am here. Have a wonderful time. So glad you could see my kiddos. They really enjoyed the time together. Great connect time. You were very brave to travel so far with your babes--and husband and Katie the Great. Joanie